/home/family/trying_to_fly

/home/family/trying_to_fly

Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Spud Day!

This last weekend, I took my dad and my son and drove to Shelly, Idaho for Spud Day! (My husband and daughter had other commitments both Friday and Saturday, and couldn't come.)

We stayed Friday night in Ogden with some friends.



I'm grateful we didn't do the entire drive both ways on Saturday. As it was, we didn't get to Shelley until about noon. I was worried we wouldn't get there in time for my son to participate in the spud picking contest, but we made it with about half an hour to spare.

My grandfather was the "world champion spud picker" for many years, and various uncles and cousins have taken the title more years than not (including both the men's and women's titles this year). My son has never harvested potatoes in his life, but he did pretty well anyway!

My son is on the left in the tie dye t-shirt; the guy in the purple shirt with the microphone was a "total biker dude" - really, there's no better way to describe it - and he was calling for the competition

(If I can figure out how to get video off the video camera and onto the internet, I'll post a bit of the women's world championship potato picking contest, which was won by a 2nd or 3rd cousin of mine by picking 400 lbs of potatoes in 4 minutes and 10 seconds. The men's champion was her older brother, who picked 500 lbs of potatoes in about 4 min 50 seconds.)

After that we checked out some of the booths, like this giant colon from Grand Teton Gastrointerology:

Papa (my dad) inside a giant colon which described various gastrointestinal diseases with text and images

(Most of the booths were far more traditional than this - I just wanted to include this because I thought it was hilarious.) We also got to try Mexican Roasted Corn and funnel cake.



While we were there, my dad suggested we should go back every decade or so; I have to agree! The last time I went, I was seven years old. Next time, though, I hope we remember sunscreen.

On the way back we stopped to see my grandparent's graves, and we got to visit with two of my dad's five surviving brothers. Monday morning my dad called me from my sister's house just to tell me thanks for taking him. It was close to 11 pm before we got home, and the next day was difficult because I was so exhausted, but I am so glad we went. There's no question it was worth the effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear and share your comments! But remember, identifying information about the House of Penguin Family won't be published. Thanks!