/home/family/trying_to_fly

/home/family/trying_to_fly

Thursday, January 23, 2014

Talking to Littlest One

Of late, I have been really, really tired. Tux Man has been having some health problems - nerve problems in his legs - for nearly a year now, which mean that he has to sleep in the basement. (We thought a second bed in our bedroom would solve the problems he has sleeping on our bed, but it did not.) We visit each other often, but when it comes to middle-of-the-night-taking-care-of-a-newborn, it has pretty much been me on my own.

With our first two children, Tux Man was going to school full time and working (once our first child was born, I stopped working away from home until both our older kids were in school). This means that I have done this on my own before. I had expected to do the bulk of this work anyway, because I don't have to be at work the next morning and I'm really good at napping during the day.

So, I have been tired. And, as I think all babies do, our Littlest One sometimes fusses and we don't know why. This morning was one of those times, and I tried everything I knew to do and it didn't seem to help. I talked him through everything I did, and asked his opinions on what he needed, but to no avail. Finally, I told him I was going to wrap him in a blanket and see if he could fall asleep, because I suspected he might be really tired and need to sleep.

I tried it, and it didn't work... at first. Then I spoke softly in his ear and asked him to stop crying for two or three minutes, to see if maybe he really was tired and needed to sleep. I promised him that I would stay by him, so that I would be here when he woke up and he wouldn't have to cry until I came to him at that time.

And he settled down. And he fell asleep. And I fell asleep. And I nursed him in my mostly-asleep state, which meant that I actually got a 2 hour nap myself, and it's been another hour and a half and he is still asleep. So, I am staying here, watching him sleep.

I know there are plenty of times that talking to a baby doesn't work. But in general, I think we give them far too little credit for the intelligence they bring into this life with them.


1 comment:

  1. THAT is the cutest picture I've seen of that baby yet.

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear and share your comments! But remember, identifying information about the House of Penguin Family won't be published. Thanks!