/home/family/trying_to_fly

/home/family/trying_to_fly

Monday, May 11, 2015

Mother's Day Resolution Report

I am not greatly given to spending Mother's Day moping over what a terrible mother I am. At times, I really do a terrible job, but I'm constantly doing course corrections (and offering apologies to my children and husband when appropriate). I have definitely gotten better at certain things - mostly at not yelling at my children as much - over the last decade and a half.

However, last year when Mother's Day came around, it struck me that I could choose something specific to work on and try to improve at for the next year. So, I did!

I chose my nemesis. That is, LAUNDRY.

I used to say that scarcity is good for children, and that our children are given so much that we almost have to seek artificial scarcity for them. However, when it comes to clean laundry, they have experienced enough scarcity to appreciate it when they have it, and to trust me when I say "Put it away now or you won't have it later when you need it!"

Through the efforts of the last year, I am happy to report that I have made great strides toward making peace with laundry. This is evidenced by the fact that, on the morning of Mother's Day this year, I had clean clothes! And so did everyone else in my house! Underwear and socks included! I have not completely triumphed yet, though, as is evidenced by the fact that said clean underwear was still buried in a basket of clean laundry in the laundry room, rather than being put away where I could easily access it when I finished my shower... but I'm happy to take it one step at a time. Honestly, compared to a year ago, I am very pleased. Being able to say that I usually don't run out of clothes is a huge step forward for me.

A few months ago Turtle decided to start doing her own laundry, and this week Snuggle Puppy decided he would start as well. We will see whether this lightens my load, and makes it easier, or if it is harder because they don't move loads along for me as often.

Perhaps I should think about a new goal for the next year. I have a long list of personal character traits I am working on at the moment, though, so rather than making a time-frame-centered-goal, I think I will just keep plugging away at improving all that other stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear and share your comments! But remember, identifying information about the House of Penguin Family won't be published. Thanks!