/home/family/trying_to_fly

/home/family/trying_to_fly

Saturday, September 19, 2015

Busy

On July 30, I started a blog entry entitled "Busy". The title was as far as I got.

I felt that we were incredibly busy this summer. Actually, I stayed home a lot, and I took an online photography course, but I think everyone else was very, very busy.

In July Tux Man went to 11-year-old scout camp for three days before heading to Bear Lake Aquatic Camp. Turtle had girls camp and marching band, and Snuggle Puppy had Bear Lake Aquatic Camp. In August Turtle and Tux Man had Pioneer Trek, and Snuggle Puppy had STEM Camp and then Math Camp. In between we had lots of people stay with us - one week I counted over a dozen - and a family reunion with lots of extended family.

Now that school has started again, Turtle is continuing color guard, a out-of-school writing class, a singing-Disney-songs after school club, Young Women's (her youth group at church), and her gaming group on Saturday afternoons. (It may be time for her to choose between some of those activities....) Snuggle Puppy has Scouts/Young Men's (his youth group at church) and cello lessons, and was choosing between an after school computer programming class with his two best friends, ballroom dance lessons, and running in the election to be a student body officer. I think we've narrowed it down to just scouts, cello, and ballroom, and I'm still nervous about trying to do that much. Oh, and Snuggle Puppy also enjoys the gaming group.

I finished my "foundation level" photography course and took the advanced level as well. I haven't finished the online assignments to get the certificate from either course, and I would really like to, but the live classes were in the middle of the day when everyone was gone and even finding time to watch the recordings in the evening has been challenging. I tried to train for a triathlon, but I simply couldn't make it happen. I have also tried to keep attending the Mom-and-Me swim class at the rec center, and that sometimes happens.

Recently Tux Man has been asked to be the Scoutmaster for the troop of boys from our congregation at church. I am no longer organist; instead I now lead the music.

Part of me would like to cut way back and keep things much simpler, but I also remember being in high school and I remember all the things I did then, that I didn't have opportunities to do at any other time. That is why we choose to continue to fight our way through this busy-ness. It is hard, and there are sacrifices required. We can't all eat together again on Thursdays until October is over, and we may not be able to eat together onWednesdays (unless it is at 4:30, while driving in the truck) until December.

I'm pretty good at taking care of babies by myself (even for several days at a time with no one home at night - I got to practice that skill several times this summer) and I'm pretty good at utilizing help with babies; now I find myself needing to develop the skill of switching back and forth between the two.

I've realized that I try not to go anywhere with the babies, because I'm pretty much never on time (ever) and because sometimes it's really hard. When my older kids were little we were constantly at story time at the library and other toddler-friendly-activities around the community, so I'm starting to make an effort to go places with the babies. I also think I might make the effort to stop grocery shopping with them, or at least to stop doing it by myself with them. It's just terribly time intensive, I've begun to think my time is better spent (read: more efficiently spent) in other pursuits. Time is short, and I'm anxious to use it well. This week we made it to story time at the library, and Tux Man and I did the grocery shopping together today (Saturday). It's definitely a little nuts right now, but I guess as long as I see my kids learning and growing in the ways I feel they need to, we'll just keep charging through it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear and share your comments! But remember, identifying information about the House of Penguin Family won't be published. Thanks!