When you are cooking rice, and you put the rice cooker on the stove, and you turn the stove on - even on accident - exciting things happen!
We felt very, very protected. This could easily have been a fire, and possibly a large one. We're especially grateful to all of our neighbors who loaned us fans and who didn't mind our children coming over while we dealt the the toxic fumes.
Also, I'm grateful that the smell has dissipated enough that we dare sleep in our own beds tonight. This could have been much worse, and much more difficult in many ways, and I'm so grateful that it wasn't!